Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

Movie Time! The Matrix Series: The Matrix Reloaded


This is going to be quite short, because I don’t have strong feelings about this film one way or another. It just simply...was.

First of all, nitpicks. It would have been humorous to have Morpheus and Gina Torres in a scene together, but I guess it wasn’t meant to be. No one mentions how Tank died, which annoyed me throughout this movie and the third, too. They talked about him a lot, why couldn’t they have mentioned his death?

I thought the twist in this movie was the overall twist for the entire series, so I was surprised when the Architect told Neo about the other ‘One’s’ that came before him. I also liked the talk about how the other matrix’s failed. The Twins were cool, and so was the Keymaker. I didn’t much like the Merovingian, and I admit that I kind of zoned out when he was on the screen, so I’m still not 100% on what his actual purpose was.

One major thing that did annoy me during this film was Kid and his love for Neo. Even after Neo and everyone else tells him that he saved himself, Kid doesn’t believe them, and ends up following them around like a lost puppy. I think it’s supposed to be adorable, but Neo is clearly not worth his adoration. I thought it would have been cool if it turned out that Kid was really The One, because unlike Neo, he woke himself up from the matrix. No one took the time to actually explain to Kid how or why he woke up. Neo just keeps saying that he saved himself; he doesn’t go into detail or anything. And since Neo is a shy guy Kid mistakes this as Neo being humble, so he goes on thinking that Neo is the bee’s knees.

The orgy/sex scene wasn’t as good as it could have been, and it went on a lot longer than it needed to. The same with the fight with Neo against all of the programs that Merovingian sent; it just went on too long.

I did like the overall theme of fate v choice; everyone made a choice that corresponded with fate. For some people, this is where it gets trippy, but I find that stuff easy to grasp, if hard to put into words. Like, fate is the choice that we all will make eventually. I wonder if Trinity would have made another choice if Neo told her he dreamt of her death. Probably not, but it would have made her choice to go into the matrix more self sacrificing.

It was good to see Morpheus actually doing something rather than just standing around for a change, and it was cool to see Neo save Trinity. I wish they had shown us a bit more of that relationship being built though. It felt quite forced, like neither of them were really into it, they were just going through the motions.

On a little side note: I love how Smith says “Mister Anderson”. It’s not so much, Mister Anderson, but Miss Teranderson. It’s an odd thing, but my insides get a little tingly when he says that.

So what does everyone else think? Am I being too harsh, or are my criticisms worthy? Let me know what you think in the comments.
Next up: The Matrix: Revolutions

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment