Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2011

TV time: Doctor Who, A Good Man Goes To War

Demons run when a good man goes to war.
Night will fall and drown the sun, when a good man goes to war.
Friendship dies and true love lies, night will fall and dark will rise, when a good man goes to war.


This was an awesome episode that truly well done. Not my favourite ep of the season thus far, which would have to be The Doctor’s Wife, but still quite epic.

First of all, Rory the Roman is back again! All hail Rory! I admit to being a bit annoyed at Amy at the beginning for her words to Melody until I twigged that she was talking about Rory as I’d hoped she would be. It’s not often that Amy remembers that Rory is around, so I hope that this is the start of a new period for her.

I love the Doctor collecting people who we haven’t met yet. I mean, we’ve met them in this episode but we haven’t seen the first time that we’ve met them. If you know anything about time travel this will make sense to you, if yo don’t then just shrug and move on.

I’m not sure whether I like that River is really Melody, but I don’t unlike it. It was a kind of shock, but not one that I didn’t see coming. Truthfully though I thought that she was everyone related to the Doctor at some point, so I’d have to be right in the end wouldn’t I? I find it odd that River says this is the day that the Doc finds out who she really is and in a way it was-she’s the baby of two of his companions whose genes has been altered to be Time Lordy- but it a way it wasn’t. Knowing her parents and her background doesn’t say anything about who she is, or who she is in relation to him. We still haven’t been told if they are married or whatnot… it’s all speculation.

The characters in this episode were fantastic, including the guest cast. I keep tossing back and forth between liking Amy’s positive attitude and hating that she seemed to be so calm about them taking her baby. Maybe if we’d seen that she had fought back after Melody was first born, like a fading black eye or something, then we could see that she knows she can’t fight to get her daughter back so all she can do is wait. She has so much trust in Rory and the Doctor that she knew they would find her, but she’s still a mother and they are still taking her baby away. Yea, still tossing. I really liked Rory’s tears when he saw his family together for the first time, I think that was a great touch especially after seeing him so different to his usual self for the beginning of the ep.

I liked the mix of locations in this episode, from the Victorian era streets to the Cybermen ship. Kudos to the set department.

As for the plot, I don’t know if I’d say that this is the highest the Doctor has ever been and the furthest he has ever fallen. I’d say he fell pretty far in Waters of Mars, and he was pretty far gone in Runaway Bride. There wasn’t really a lot of time spent on him and his desperation at losing Melody. I was really hoping we’d see him get really angry at River and maybe even lash out at her like he did at Amy in Almost People.

I like how this episode ended even though I am annoyed it’s gonna take a while before we see the next one. Hopefully we’ll see more of Matt’s range in the next bit.

What do you all think of the Melody/River twist? Did you see it coming or were you completely shocked? Did you like kick ass Rory or do you prefer him sugar and spice? Let me know your opinions on those plus anything else.

Kathy

Themes: Amy Pond, Amy, Doctor, Doctor Who, eye patch lady, Matt Smith, Pregnant, pregnancy, River Song, Rory, TARDIS, baby, Melody Pond, Stephan Moffat, Sontarans, Judoon, Siluran, roman, Centurion, Arthur Darvill, Karen Gillan

No comments:

Post a Comment