Pages

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Thoughts on The Hunger Games movie


I'm not that big of a fan of The Hunger Games books as I am of many others. Don't get me wrong; I have read the trilogy and thoroughly enjoyed all of the books, but I have only read them once and have too many others to read before I can even think about doing a reread. 
But I do love a good movie, and I was excited to see The Hunger Games at the movie. I watched the trailers four or five times in the week leading up to the film, and was determined to see it the first day it came out. Thursday night a big group of friends and I arrived at an aging theatre, loaded up on sugary foods, and entered the darkened room. 
I give The Hunger Games movie 8/10. I really liked it, but I didn't love it. I'd be alright to watch it again at the movies, but if I don't I'm okay with it. Compare this to Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 2, which I saw twice, and Serenity which I saw three times. 
I think that the cast and crew did a great job of recreating the world of The Hunger Games. I was a bit worried how they would balance the horror of District 12 with the elaborate-ness of the Capitol but they did it well. If this doesn't win best costumes at the Oscars next year I will not only be surprised but deeply disappointed. 
In terms of sticking the to the truth of the book, I think they nailed it in most parts. The horror of the games and the twisted notions of sacrifice and war came across wonderfully. However, one thing that I felt didn't translate across was the relationship between Peeta and Katniss. In my opinion, in the book you could tell that Peeta was truly madly deeply in love with Katniss no questions asked, but you could also understand why Katniss thinks it all a ploy. In the movie you can see Peeta has love for Katniss but you don't know how deep it is. Likewise, I couldn't work out what Katniss thought about it all. 
I also felt they didn't do enough justice to the Katniss-Haymitch relationship while Kat was in the arena, but the movie did make me love Haymitch even more than before. I've always had a soft spot for the man, and I felt that  book 1 wasn't as generous to him as book 2. Woody Harrelson was amazing. 
The Hunger Games is a great movie and I recommend it to anyone who loves a bit of escapism. 
What did everyone else think of the film? Let me know in the comments. 
Kathy


Themes: katniss everdeen, peeta mellark, gale hawthorne, the hunger games, suzanne collins, young adult fictions, jennifer lawrence, josh hutcherson, liam hemsworth

1 comment:

  1. I was married for 16 years to a loving mother and wife. We had 2 children together who are now 11 & 13. I reconnected with an old girlfriend from college on Facebook and we began an affair and I left my wife. The woman I had an affair with is a wonderful woman and I love her too and our kids had begun accepting the situation and my wife has kind of moved on, but not in love with the man she is seeing. I thought I fell out of love with my wife and I felt terrible about what I did to her - she is a good woman and I don't know what came over me. I decided to try and get her back and I was recommended to Lord Zakuza for help to get reunited with my wife and within 48 hours after I made contact with Lord Zakuza my wife decided to work things out with me and now we are back together with our children living as one happy family... I really don't know the words to use in appreciation of what Lord Zakuza did for me but I will say thank you sir for reuniting I and my family back. For those in trying times with their marriages or relationship can WhatsApp Lord Zakuza for help or text with this number +1 740-573-9483 or you can send him an email to Lordzakuza7@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete