Pages

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Terra Nova



Terra Nova had its season finale earlier this week, so I’m gonna talk a bit about that. I really like this show, which isn't surprising at all because 1) it's science fiction, 2) it has dinosaurs in it, and 3) it has Jason O’Mara in it. It also has Stephen Lang but I love this guy so that's a bonus despite the fact he was in the worst movie of all time Avatar. Oh, I haven't done my Avatar rant yet? I'll get to that soon. 
Anyway, for those who don't know, Terra Nova is about a group of people who have been sent back 85 MILLION years in the past in an alternate time line in order to give humanity a second chance. According to this series, humans have royally messed up the earth to the point that in 2149 we have to walk about with oxygen tanks because the air isn't fit to be breathed. But someone found a rip in space and time and they have decided to send back a bunch of Americans and Australians through to the past.
But not our past, a different past.
If it was our past then this would mess with the future but they're not doing that... or are they?
Another reason why I like this show is that there are a lot of questions being asked of everybody. Lang plays Commander Taylor whom I just adore, and Taylor believes wholeheartedly in the terra nova project of giving people a second chance. But he has a nasty habit of sounding like he's only telling you half the story. If he were to walk up to you and say you look nice today you'd leave the conversation thinking you've got something in your teeth. There is also another faction referred to as the sixers who are trying to make the portal go both ways so things from the past can be taken to the future. Naturally this would be bad for the past because corporations would just take everything profitable and not care about the rest.
There’s a lot to think about in this show, but it's also a bit of fun. Half of the main cast are children so we get to see some of their issues, like first dates ad just wacky fun with dinosaurs. And all the kids are great actor’s too so it's not boring to see their storylines. 
Personally I think the 'bad' characters could be a bit more fleshed out but apart from this I really enjoy the show and love the finale. I really hope we get a second season because it ended on a bit of a cliff hanger. I also want a second season because the show was filmed quite near where I live and I want Australia to get more or a name for itself in film and TV. Plus this would show the heads of the Australian film 'industry' that sci-fi is nothing to be laughed at. 
Let me know what you think of Terra Nova. 

Kathy

Themes: terra nova, science fiction, sci fi, Terra Nova, Jason O'Mara, Jim Shannon, Stephen Lang, Slang, Australia, Sci-Fi, tv shows, TV series, TV, dinosaurs

No comments:

Post a Comment